Saturday, April 21, 2012

FNSI finish

Last night was the Friday Night Sew In hosted by Heidi!
Check out all of the great projects!
I didn't plan well for this one.
It's soccer season, you know.

Since I scheduled a soccer practice for 6pm yesterday, I didn't have much time to sew in the evening.  It was 9 o'clock before we got back home.

But, I did get to visit my LQS earlier in the afternoon.
I bought some more Kansas Troubles for the background fabric for my Craftsy BOM.
I also found co-ordinates for some beachy fabric that has been in my stash for a couple of years.  The original plan was to make aprons for my in-laws by Christmas.  Now, I've decided to make just 2 aprons and a couple of place mats or mug rugs...and will take them to the Outer Banks with us this summer.  Darren thinks I am crazy to make aprons & place mats to take to the beach, but it will help me to be patient while I wait for summer to arrive! 
I might even try to get a beach blanket made...something about the size of a large bath towel should work!  Yes, I'm just making it just big enough for me...I'm a little selfish that way!  And Darren certainly doesn't need one since he thinks it is just wasted packing space!
Aprons
Other patchwork-y projects
And, I found a book with a wonderful pattern for the T shirt quilt I have been working on.  Janet & I gathered lots of bolts and spent nearly 3 hours choosing the right fabrics.  It took a couple of tries, but we finally found the perfect set.  
I think this quilt is going to turn out WAY better than I ever expected!  I'm really excited now!
And the BEST thing?  On the back of the book (which is published by American Quilter's Society):
"Proudly printed and bound in the 
United States of America"
This makes me so happy!  It is very difficult to find things still made in the good 'ole US of A.  I try to buy American whenever I can, or at least where they have some decent labor laws.  I hate the idea of anyone being taken advantage of and forced to work under horrendous conditions for minimal pay just so I can save a few pennies.  (Let me step off my soapbox before I hurt myself...)

So, yesterday was quite productive and I DID get to sew last night!
I finished the hot pad/place mat.  (This is my first project using Insul-Brite and I love it!)  It was mostly done when I posted yesterday, but I had to hand stitch the binding and I finished that at 11:38 last night.  


I love it & only wish I knew what fabric line it was from.  I am pretty sure it is a 3 Sisters design from Moda, but I will have to go back through their archives to find out which line it's from and begin to visit the obscure little shops that might still have bits and pieces left.  
Let me know if you recognize it or know where I can get my hands on some!  Please, pretty please!  (No, it is not beneath me to beg!)

Well, I'm off to see what everyone else accomplished last night...

Enjoy your day!
                 ~K

1 comment: