Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Spinning my Wheel

Yes.  That's "wheel"...Not "wheels".
Although, I kinda feel like I'm doing that too.

In my earlier post I told you that I had visited Sheeps & Peeps Farm and that got me all excited about the wool fleeces that I have laying out on the front porch.  I had half of one fleece somewhat clean and had picked some of the wool for carding.

Well, when I sat down to spin last night...Yeah.  I thought I could just dive right in and be spinning like I was last year when I was doing a little every day...I realized that there is "use it or lose it" clause in the spinning rules.  

So, last night I decided to use some of my scrap cotton yarn to re-introduce myself to collecting yarn on the bobbin.  Once I got started, it started coming back to me...I was beginning to get the rhythm of spinning.  Then Thing 2 came in to talk.  And he wanted to try.

Until he was able to do it all by himself.
Then, Big Brother came in and he wanted to give 'er a spin.  He stayed for quite a while.  Funny how the boys are enjoying this more than the girls ever did.

Eventually I had a chance to play and I started spinning some of the wool that I have been trying to get cleaned before we leave for vacation.  Oh, how I wish I could take my wheel with me!
 Thing 2 liked the carding process...he is a great photographer too!
And this is what I ended up with after about 20 minutes.  It's slow going again, but I'm really happy with it.
Here is the bit that has been washed, picked and is waiting to be carded & spun.
Tomorrow I will introduce you to my spinning wheel.  She really is quite beautiful!


5 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! Your boys are doing a great job! Thanks for linking up! I appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a nice time you had! I wish I had a spinning wheel and someday I will :-))). Nice pictures ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing the picture of your boys made me want to get my wheel going again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris... This is My MOM!! She wrote her first post to you! She's a wonderful Spinner!!!

      Delete
  4. Judy,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you get spinning again real soon. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it...and love that my boys are interested as well. I shouldn't have been surprised since their dad would always pick up my cross stitch and work on it when we were dating. LOL

    ReplyDelete