Saturday, January 14, 2012

Finishing Stitches

I spent today finishing the 9 Patch Variation lap quilt.  Darren is happy to have it done.  He says it has always been one of his favorites.

Since I have been packing and moving this one around for about 3-4 years, you can probably guess that it has been a bit of a bugger for me.  It was a project that I attempted when I didn't really know much about quilting.  With my Type A personality, I have fought with this project for a long time.  I was not able to match points and the smaller read squares kept taunting me every time I looked at it. 

A year or two ago, I managed to keep it out long enough to get the backing pieced.

 

Today, it got a quick quilting (just through the red squares) and I wrapped the back around to the front for the binding.  I don't usually do a machine stitched binding, but guess what...today, I did.  I will probably go back and knot the blue squares since this one will be living at the Fire Department after this weekend.

Once this one was finished, I decided to go ahead and look at my other UFOs.

My goal is to get these projects organized and finished before I buy more fabric for new projects.  AND, since they made it here, I can keep track of what I have managed to accomplish.
 
1.  "Monster" Rag Quilts (for the Twins)


2. Find a pattern for the left over Urban Indigo jelly roll & fabrics used in my red Jelly Roll Jive quilt (there are tons of pieces that I messed up by sewing the triangle to the wrong side of the fabric strip).


3. Cinnamon & Nutmeg Quilt

I found this pattern in an American Patchwork & Quilting magazine
February 2009

I've been collecting civil war reds, browns & tans for quite some time now.  I keep finding more to add to this collection.

4. Kansas Winter Jelly Rolls from Kansas Troubles


I think I'm going to do a "Friendship Braid" from Pam & Nicky Lintott's book Jelly Roll Quilts.

5.  Fun & Done "Zip Strip"
 
I started this one in a class at my local quilt shop in early November 2011.  I decided to increase the size from lap to twin (otherwise, I would be done) and then had to put it away to get ready for Christmas.  The pattern is from Prairie Sky Quilting and I highly recommend the Batting Buddy template. 

So, tomorrow I start to whittle away at my list of quilt projects that need to be completed.  By the way, these are ONLY the quilts...I have plenty of small craft bags that need to be finished, beachy fabric that was purchased for making aprons for everyone and my new desire to knit a pair of socks...

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the finish.. I understand about those that taunt you for years. I had a sampler that did that to me too :) Welcome to blogging.. I am pretty new myself, but am getting better at it :) You can see my blog over at www.quiltmonstercloset.com :) Stop by and say hi whenever you can ;)

    ReplyDelete